I'd like to share an email that I received many years ago, that helped me to "shift" my expectations of what a relationship should be. I hope you find it as inspirational as I did (and still do!)
"Relationship tips to live by"
- If a person really wants you, nothing can keep them away - If they do not want you, nothing can make them stay.
- Stop making excuses for a lovers behavior.
- Allow your intuition(or spirit) to save you from heartache.
- Stop trying to change yourself for a relationship that's not meant to be.
- Slower is better.
- Never live your life for someone else before you find what truly makes you happy.
- If a relationship ends because the other person was not treating you as you deserve then heck no!, you can't "be friends" a friend wouldn't mistreat a friend.
- Don't settle. If you feel like someone is stringing you along, then they probably are.
- Don't stay because you think "it will get better". You'll only be mad at yourself a year later for staying when things are not better.
- The only person you can control in a relationship is you.
- Always have your own separate set of friends.
- Maintain boundaries in how others treat you.
- If something bothers you, speak up.
- You cannot change other people's behavior. Change comes from within.
- Don't EVER let someone else define who you are.
- A person will only treat you the way you ALLOW them to treat you.
- Compromise is a two way street.
- Take time to heal between relationships...there is nothing cute about baggage. Deal with your issues before pursuing a new relationship.
- You should never look for someone to complete you...a relationship consists of two whole individuals...look for someone complimentary...not supplementary.
- Dating can be fun...even if they do not turn out to be the right one for you.
- Always remember that you are an amazing individual who brings some pretty amazing dynamics to a relationship!
"They say it takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them and an entire lifetime to forget them"